Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Honda iPod Connections and the Scosche

My 2006 Honda Accord has served me well for over 4 years.  However, my only complaint is the iPod connection.  They did not provide an Aux connection, which would have been more than sufficient, but instead offered an overly complicated set-up that required you to keep the iPod in your glove compartment and connect it to the CD changer in the back of the dash.  This set-up cost $350 dollars, which when added to the price of the car doesn't seem like much.  However, since it's hidden behind the dash it makes maintenance nearly impossible requiring the entire dash to be removed.

This worked fine using my older iPod but when I upgraded to an iPod Touch  I had serious problems.  The first issue was that the iPod no longer received power, but that was minor and there are products to correct this.  I purchased the scosche adapter which worked great for 2 weeks but out of the blue it just stopped working.  It wasn't that the adapter stopped working, or the iPod stopped working, but the entire iPod option disappeared from the dash.  I could no longer listen to any iPod in the car (even my old one) and was forced to listen to conservative radio babble.

I wrote this off as a coincidence.  The entire iPod connection stopped working after 2 weeks of Scosche use so it seemed likely that the issues with the car was unrelated.  I called my car dealership, the Herb Chambers in Burlington MA, and they would look at it for the ridiculous price of $150.  But after many painful weeks of conservative babble I caved and I paid the money to have them fix this.

I had 2 weeks of iPod bliss, catching up on Stuff You Should Know podcasts with Josh and Chuck.  But 2 weeks later the iPod option disappeared again and I'm back to where I was before bringing it to the shop.  Did the Scosche actually break the iPod connection?  Was it another coincidence?  Was it a conservative conspiracy to force me to listen to their babble instead of actually learning something from Josh and Chuck?  Regardless I'm hesitant to have it fixed again considering the steep $150 price tag.  If it works for only 2 weeks that comes out to $11/day to use my iPod in my car.

No comments:

Post a Comment